Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Summer Playlist



One way I'll remember this summer (much like I do almost any other period of my life), is by the key songs that were a part of my ongoing playlist. Among the songs that will always remind me of summer 2008:

Usher - Love In This Club
Lil' Wayne - Lollipop
Chris Brown - Forever
Colbie Caillat - Realize
Ne-Yo - Closer
Mariah Carey - I'll Be Lovin' You Long TIme
Taylor Swift - Our Song
Rihanna - Take A Bow

Actually, it wouldn't be all that far off for me to simply characterize this as the "Summer of Rihanna". To be honest, I used to think her music was annoying, but then when I heard "Umbrella" for the first time on the radio, I started to change my mind. Later on, the deal was sealed when I saw her live at the United Center this May, where she was an opening act for Kanye/Lupe Fiasco. Her voice, her style, and overall stage presence really stood out that night, and suddenly I found myself crushing big time. Haha, it's weird because I was never attracted girls with short hair, and the sassy-type personality is usually is a turnoff for me. But Rihanna managed to change all of that in one swoop. Impressive, I have to admit. And as I listened to more of her songs throughout the past few months, they all seemed to grow on me and make me like her even more.

Another memorable concert from the summer was seeing Stevie Wonder in Milwaukee, at Summerfest. I've been to a pretty decent variety of live music shows over the years, from Red Hot Chili Peppers/Foo Fighters concert to a Broadway musical about gay people and HIV (Rent), or from a Britney Spears show to the Vienna Boys Choir at the Chicago Symphony Orchestra or Yo-Yo Ma at Ravinia. In among all of these experiences, this Stevie Wonder concert seemed to stand out in my mind. The diversity of the crowd, which had people of just about all ages, races, social class, is something I could not say about any of the other concerts. I guess no matter who you are, you can appreciate Stevie Wonder's music.

No comments: